BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 5, 2012

I Have a Dream by Martin Luther King


When I read the 'I have a Dream' speech by Martin Luther King I felt like I'm reading a poem. A lot of repetition such as I have a dream today,  Let freedom ring and free at last. I remembered I analyzed it last year for my public speaking paper. What a lengthy speech! but it is worthy of lengthy study as we can all learn speech writing as well as public speaking skills.

There are five key lessons from this speech writing that we can extract.
  1. Emphasize phrases by repeating at the beginning of sentences
  2. Repeat key “theme” words throughout our speech
  3. Utilize appropriate quotations or allusions
  4. Use specific examples to “ground” our arguments
  5. Use metaphors to highlight contrasting concepts
Through his speech, we can not only learn how to write effective speech writing but his speech is a source of encouragement to those who are being discriminated. There are still people divided on color lines. It's hard to believe that in this 21st century there are still African American have to suffer hatred, ignorance, racism, distrust, invalidation... lack of equality. Believe me, they do! While looking for information on the internet about racism, I came a cross a white lady wrote her despair. Do we need another Martin King Luther??


0 comments: