BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Long Walk To Freedom



Nelson Mandela.  I have heard this name ever since I was a little girl and until now people are still talking about him. Long time ago when I asked my father who is Nelson Mandela, he used to reply, "freedom fighter". After a few years, through my readings, I came to know that he is the leader of the anti-apartheid from Africa. He did not fight for himself, he refused to be freed six times for the people of South Africa despite knowing his family needed him. The Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela was one of the life experiences that I ever read.  

 Nelson Mandela began secretly writing his autobiography, The Long Walk to Freedom, while he was still in prison on South Africa's, Robben Island and Pollsmoor Prison. In part eight of his autobiography, he wrote how he spent his life in Robben Island and treated in that prison. He explained that Apartheid's regulations extended even in the prison! As a black political prisoner, he received the lowest level of treatment. He spent 18 years in Robben Island.  Beside his autobiography, he also published a number of books on his life and struggle, among them, No Easy Walk to Freedom, Nelson Mandela: The Struggle is my Life, and Nelson Mandela's Favorite African Folktales
 
As for me, Nelson Mandela is another great freedom fighter just like Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

0 comments: